If you wish to purchase ONLY a cap/gown follow these instructions:
The deadline for ordering is Saturday, May 1. Please take care of placing orders as soon as possible, as the price of the cap/gown/tassel package will increase by $10 on April 1.
1. Last day for seniors will be Friday, May 28, 2021
2. We have been working very closely with Merriweather Post Pavilion to do everything possible to host this year’s graduation ceremonies there. We have narrowed the graduation window in our discussions with Merriweather and hope to share the specific graduation dates and times for all of our high schools very soon once we hear back from Merriweather Post Pavilion.
3. We are taking several measures to provide social distancing and all other safety protocols during graduation ceremonies: Each family will receive 2 tickets to attend. Student performers or other presenters will be able to perform in-person individually or in small groups of 2 to 3, but bands and orchestras will perform virtually or by a recording. The number of speakers and guests on the stage will be kept to a bare minimum. Additionally, we are working out ways to ensure graduates who choose to participate virtually will be included in the graduation ceremonies through pictures or video as we did last year. GRADUATION WINDOW IS MAY 28 - JUNE 4.
4. We also continue our planning to provide the Classof 2021 with wonderful and memorable experiences to close out their final year. Unfortunately, traditional proms will not be able to be held in a manner that is safe and aligned to current health protocols.
5. Instead, each high school will host a Senior Night that includes a senior awards ceremony and celebration on the same afternoon or evening. The in-person Senior Awards Ceremony will be held outdoors and will be held on school grounds with limited guests able to participate. The awards ceremony will be followed by an in-person celebration event for seniors only. This event will be held on school grounds and could incorporate elements of other traditional senior year events such as those found at senior class night. Health protocols will be in place at these events to help ensure safety, including masking and social distancing, not serving food, and limiting access only to seniors at Atholton High School. Additionally, a virtual component will be provided to allow seniors not attending in-person to participate.
It was a pleasure discussing all the details that make commencement such a memorable experience. Below, you will find links to important information such as cap and gown orders, outstanding teacher nominations, and more. If you have any specific questions, please see the graduation resources under Class of 2021 News on the Atholton Website or email Mrs. Krista Bopst, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cap and Gowns as well as other graduation memorabilia can be ordered directly through Balfour. You can view their brochure or order directly online. Balfour will be at Atholton on Wednesday, February 10 and Thursday, February 11 from 2pm to 4pm to collect in person orders if needed. The deadline for ordering is Saturday, May 1. Please take care of placing orders as soon as possible after the meeting, as the price of the cap/gown/tassel package will increase by $10 on April 1.
Students should visit the voter registration website for the state of Maryland. If a student is not eligible to vote at this time, there will still be valuable information about registration in the future. In order to register, eligible students will need a driver’s license number, learner’s permit number, or social security number (last four digits only). Students should also be prepared to make a choice of affiliation at the time they register.
Graduation performance auditions will be completed by submitting an online application through google forms. Performances are not limited to speeches. We encourage not only speeches but musical performances, dance, or any other creative performance highlighting students' time at Atholton. The due date for all submissions is Tuesday, February 16 by 8am. Submissions will then be evaluated by a panel of staff judges. Students who have been selected will be notified in early March.
Every year, seniors have an opportunity to nominate an educator who has impacted their education/lives in a positive way. This is your opportunity to recognize a past or present educator who has inspired you. All nominations will be reviewed, and if necessary a committee of students will select the Outstanding Educator for the Class of 2021. Please make sure that you spell the teacher’s name correctly, provide reasons, and sign the form. The due date for your Outstanding Teacher Nomination is Monday, February 1 at 8am.
Finally, there is a form to complete for parents who are permanent, Howard County Public School System employees. Each employee is offered the opportunity to present the diploma to his/her senior on stage at the commencement ceremony (if both the parent and student agree to this). If you are an HCPSS employee and interested in this opportunity, please complete the form no later than Monday, March 29, 2021.
Information regarding senior activities will be updated during the year, so please check out Class of 2021 News on the Atholton website [ahs.hcpss.org].